Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leechblock, a real cool tool to Limit access to website that won't let you work!

I just started a Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. I am figuring out a lot of funny (basically geek, but funny to me!) stuff, so I might as well post it.

For starters, these days, I read a blog of a certain Prof. Matt Might from Utah. He writes a lot about how to and how not to do stuff when you are doing a Ph. D. IMO, Being a grad student is often much more about self-motivation and restricting your non-productive time to a minimum as there is much more freedom as compared to a job and getting lost in that freedom is very easy. On these lines, it can be very productive if we can restrain from visiting the social websites again and again just to find no updates at all! A particular tool I picked from his blog is how to use Firefox to block access (or limit access) to certain websites.

Apparently, you can use this tool: Leechblock (http://www.proginosko.com/leechblock.html) to use, say Facebook only 5 minutes per hour from 9 to 5 PM on Monday to Friday, only 15 minutes per hour rest of the weekdays and limitless access on the weekends. I am sure people doing a Ph. D and other people (however unimportant some might say ;);)) may find this useful. I will post more as I find out about it!!

Entropy, Canonical Ensemble, Partition function on my mind, better get back to that before I get back to facebook again!
Ravi.

No comments:

Post a Comment